Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mid-Challenge Review - The week ahead

We did an awesome video for you guys... then when I went to edit it I realised I couldn't get any sound out of it. Because the deadline for the review is today we won't have time to redo it so I'll just do a written overview of what I can remember everyone saying.

Aurelie:

  • One thing we have definitely taken off our to-do list is the changing of domain name. Basically, we've realised that it's not needed and would bring unnecessary costs to the centre. Being a non-profit organisation means that funds need to be spent on more important things, and because the current website ranks very high on google, it means that people can find the centre's site easily despite the strange domain name.

  • Our initial brief did not mention Silverstripe as our CMS. We've found this to be relatively easy-to-use and quite customisable. It also has a built-in newsletter function.

  • Finally, we have decided that if we complete the planned website before the deadline, we will add an online donations button. This is only if approval can be gotten on time, as anything to do with money will probably go through an even more lengthy process than the designs had to go through.


Miles:

  • After getting approval for the use of the logo I designed, I have now created concepts for pamphlets and business cards. I am aiming to create a fresh image for the centre to attract new members as well as invite current members to get more involved.

  • The website design is already on its way to getting approval and I've made the badge. The next step is finally getting the FTP information for the centre's website host. Without this we can't migrate the site to the centre's domain name, which is quite an important step! Unfortunately the centre is having problems getting hold of the person that used to take care of the old website.

  • I have been discussing forum options with a professional web developer who will suggest some options. I am hoping for a definite solution to be found by tomorrow so that I can start helping to implement it – we are leaning towards phpBB.


Katherine:

  • I'll be going through current content and condensing it down. I shall fix current spelling/grammar mistakes, and basically make the whole site more readable. At the moment the home page has paragraphs which are way too long and distract from the main message. I shall also separate the latest news from the centre introduction.

  • The most important part of the whole project however is making sure the North Shore Women's Centre staff are able to update the website themselves. There is no use in us changing the CMS to something more accessible if it makes no difference. My main task will be to liaise with the staff to teach them the ins and outs of the system. I have also begun to put together a step-by-step guide to using Silverstripe and have planned a meeting with them for next Thursday, in which we have dedicated a whole hour to going through such processes as sending a newsletter, adding a new page, adding to an existing page, using links and anchors, etc.

  • We hope to make a huge difference to the way the centre currently uses digital tools and allow them to update their own website with anything at anytime.

-Aurelie

No comments: